Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology Part B

Bibliography: Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend, E.W. & F. Champney. http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/06/japan-izanagi-and-izanami.html .


Reading Notes: I don't really like the portrayal of women in these stories; it seems that their main task is to be a loyal and devoted wife. It doesn't seem that the men are expected to exhibit this same loyalty to their women, as evidenced by Yamato's desire for the siren. I like the siren in this story, I think her demanding tasks are kind of hilarious. Yamato is a great warrior and he shows no fear, really. I think the sacred sword sounds really interesting; I could write about how it became known as the sacred sword or write about some of its' endeavors. I've always really loved dragons so I think it would be an interesting topic to write about the dragon that he encounters. I like the devotion of his loving wife; she is willing to sacrifice her life so willingly regardless of his past infidelities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment