Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Week 10 Reading Notes: Eskimo Folk Tales Part B






Something that I really like with native american stories is how they personify certain animals and certain features, like the wind and the weather and what not. This is something I hope to keep in my story. I particularly loved this quote: "when any man killed his fellow without good cause, a monster would come and strike him dead with fear, and leave no part whole in all his body". I plan on using this somehow in my story. I think that perhaps I'll write about a world in which the justice system is based on this instead of the normal punishment we usually equate with crimes. I think it's really interesting. Ok yeah I really like this theme they have of punishment befalling people who harm others. Another quote I really liked: "Thus punishment falls upon the man who kills."Yeah, I definitely want to write a story about someone who harms someone and the punishment is more along the lines of the punishment in the Inuit stories. It seems a little crazy that all of their stories are relevant to people getting the punishment that they deserve, but I also admittedly like it a bit and plan on using it in my story as well.





Bibliography: Knud Rasmussen, Eskimo Folk-Tales, http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/03/myth-folklore-unit-eskimo-folk-tales.html .

Caption: An Inuit Woman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit .

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the personification; I think this is really cool and I'd love to see how you manage to do it in your writing.

    I think those quotes are really cool! It seems like a dark story, which is all the more interesting. These would be good to incorporate into your story, since your idea revolves around punishment.

    I look forward to it :^).

    ReplyDelete