Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Week 2 Story: The Rise of Achilles



Achilles was born into extraordinary circumstances. It was prophesied long before his birth that his mother, Thetis, would bear a child much stronger than his father. Many gods feared to bear children with Thetis, in fear of creating too strong of a being. However, Achilles’ father was an extraordinarily strong man, king of many people.
When Achilles was just a baby, his mother tried to make him immortal by dipping him in the river Styx. However, she missed a small part on his ankle, his only weakness. That hardly stopped Achilles from rising to greatness at a young age, though.
Achilles quickly became the greatest fighter in all of Greece. He spent a lot of his younger years around the soldiers, and learned how to use a sword and all sorts of other weapons. When Achilles was just ten years old, he could win a sword fight with every member of the Greek army.
When Achilles was twelve, he officially joined the army anytime they went to battle. This was significantly younger than most soldiers had to be before joining the army. There was one battle in particular where Achilles really showed his strength and prowess. Greek had been fighting with Messenia for many years. Achilles had been begging his father to send him to join the fighting. Despite his best efforts to keep his son safe, Peleus knew that Achilles could really help their fight in Messenia and reluctantly sent him.
When Achilles first arrived, there was no clear winner. He rounded the troops and came up with a strategy. They would withdraw, regroup, and attack from their undefended side. The journey to the other side of Messenia would take longer than most men were willing to do, but Achilles was able to convince the soldiers that their best bet was to try and attack Messenia from where they weren’t expecting it.
The soldiers set off on their journey, making it longer than necessary to ensure that they would arrive undetected. Upon their arrival in the early morning, they were detected by a few guards. Achilles sprang forward, slaying both of them with the single pull of his sword. The Greek soldiers quietly spread throughout Messenia, leaving destruction and death in their wake.
Achilles, however, took mercy on those who were not involved in the battle. He didn’t harm any of the older men, women, or children. Quickly and quietly, the Greek soldiers made their way to the middle of the town where the king of the Messenia lay sleeping. Upon Achilles entering into his bedchamber, the King awoke with a start.
The King could hardly believe that a mere twelve year old boy lead the successful siege of his town after the fighting had gone on for so long with no clear shift of power. The King asked who Achilles was and Achilles replied with pride, “Achilles, son of Peleus, here to accept your surrender.”
The King had no choice; the soldiers had clearly won the battle and destroyed Messenia. The King gave his surrender to Achilles and Achilles brought back the Greek soldiers to Sparta, victorious. Ever since that win in Messenia, Achilles was the most respected soldier in all of Greece.

Author's Note: The Iliad is a story of the Greeks attacking the Trojans to retrieve their beloved Helen. The story is full of great fights, heroism, and love. When reading the Iliad, my favorite character was immediately Achilles. Not only was he a great fighter, but he loved and cared for his friends, and was merciful towards his enemies. I chose to write about Achilles' rise because I thought he was an interesting character that must've had a pretty interesting backstory.
Caption: A statue of Achilles in Hyde Park. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Achilles_Statue,_Hyde_Park_in_March_2011.jpg.
Bibliography: Homer's The Iliad. http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/iliad-rousing-of-achilles.html.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ellie! I thought you did a great job with your story! I really enjoyed reading it! I am fond of Achilles as well! I think he is a wonderfully personified character! I also agree with you I do think that he must have had a pretty interesting backstory. I cannot wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read the Iliad last week, and I enjoyed the character development of Achilles. I love how you portrayed all the different sides of Achilles. He was obviously brave and skilled with a sword, but he is also clever and merciful. I really like that you wrote his young character that way. Your plot was creative and realistic. I like your descriptive writing and attention to detail. I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is really cool! We always talk about the fall of Achilles but no one really discusses his rise. He is a great example of a character that is both brave and heroic but also a good man who showed mercy on those whom he was not at war with. I've always been super interested in Achilles myself and I agree that he must have had an interesting back-story. I love the one you gave him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ellie! I enjoyed reading your story, it was a great take on Achilles rise to success. Achilles has always been one of my favorite Greek heroes and I liked how you made him out to be a great strategist, even though he was only 12 years old at the time. In your story I know you wrote that he was prophesied to be an extremely strong man, I was just wondering how Achilles would have become good at strategy? Obviously he was skilled in sword fighting because of his daily practice, so would that transfer over to him being a good strategist as well? I think that expanding on these details would allow you to provide even more of a background to Achilles' rise. Also, I was wondering, what if the other Greek soldiers had become jealous of his swift rise to military fame? That would be another way to introduce conflict into your future stories. Great story, I hope you write more stories like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you focused on Achilles! I am really bad about zooming in on one character so seeing you do it will help me in the future. I do wish that there was more conflict in the story, like maybe someone challenging him when he wanted to change the way they were fighting? Anyways great story and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete