Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Week 13 Reading Notes: Ashliman Part B




Bibliography: D. L. Ashliman, The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales, Link.
Caption: An illustration of the cat and the fox fable, Link.

Reading Notes: I like the characters of the cat and the fox, how the fox is extremely narcissistic and gets caught by the dogs whereas the cat is able to escape the dogs with its one trick. I feel like a very common theme in the Grimm's brothers stories is an evil mother. In Aschenputtel, the step-mother is evil and mean. In the story of the children being turned into the fish and the lamb, the mother is again evil and enjoys hurting the kids. This is a very common character and I think would be interesting to use in my story. The Mount Simeli story is very interesting and feels a lot different than other Grimm brothers stories. They usually include kids and some sort of lesson. The Mount Simeli story teaches to not steal, but I think it's interesting that it doesn't actually include any children. I think that the duration of life story was very interesting and would be a good story to write about. It would be interesting to write a story about a man's life and how he is passing through each of these different stages of his life, through the years of man and donkey and dog and monkey. I did not like the story about Death and his messengers, so I do not think I will write a story about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment