Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 13 Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm Hunt Part A

Bibliography: Margaret Hunt, Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm, Link.
Caption: An illustration of Hansel and Gretel. Link
Reading Notes: I didn't realize that in the story of Hansel and Gretel, their parents were trying to be rid of the children and had left them in the woods to die on their own. That is pretty heartless and definitely changes my outlook on the story. Hansel was very clever to use stones that would shine in the moonlight though. What a horrible mother to keep sending them into the woods to die! It's too bad about the birds, because Hansel was clever to leave a path. My heart goes out to the dad who loves the children but must be faithful to his wife and go along with what she says. I think Hansel is a really interesting character because he is so smart and cunning. It's very clever of him to trick the witch into thinking that he isn't getting any fatter. I think that it's interesting though that the final trick that saves the kids is done so by Gretel. All along, Hansel is the smarter of the two but ultimately Gretel saves them and I think that's great. I really like this story and think that it would be interesting to write a story based off of the characters of Hansel and Gretel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment