Thursday, April 20, 2017

Week 13 Story Planning: The Big Bad Wolf

Bibliography: D. L. Ashliman, Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales, Link.
Caption: A wolf. Link.

Story Planning: I really liked the wolf character in the Grimm Brothers' stories. I noticed him in (obviously) the Red Riding Hood story and also in the story with the seven children raised by their mother who goes to run some errands and the wolf eats her children while she's away. I liked the wolf because he had such a defined character and this is something I immediately knew I wanted to use in my story. I want to give a backstory of the wolf and hopefully explain why he's the way he is. He is deceitful and hungry, but he didn't know any better because that's the way he was raised. In my story, I intend to tell about the wolf's story. I plan to explain his rough childhood and his parents' stories, because I think that there should be an explanation for why he's not very nice. I think it'll be interesting to give his back story and will make people pity him more, because he always ends up dying in the Grimm Brothers' stories, which I don't think is always fair. This way, the readers will sympathize with the wolf more and will understand his story. I plan to explain how his parents taught him to be deceitful and were never loving, supportive parents so he hates the children with supporting parents (or grandparents, for Little Red). The Wolf was raised with a lot of other siblings (way too many), and his parents never gave him any real attention. His older brothers bullied him and he was always bullied at school too. He didn’t have very many friends because his older brothers were notorious for picking on anyone and everyone. The Wolf was a solitary child who liked gardening and music, but eventually gave both hobbies up as he got older due to his brothers’ bullying.
 

2 comments:

  1. Good villains often have remarkably human motives, and this idea could turn into a compelling tragedy, considering the well-known fates of Big Bad Wolves: destined for failure, and life ended by the rifle.

    Adopting multiple canons of the Wolf could also breathe more life and emotion into his backstory. A first-person POV might also help if you want to get his inner mindset across. I'm anxious to see how characters like Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs come into this. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really like your concept for your story!! I always find myself wanting to sympathize with the mean characters because you never know why they are the way they are. I think it will be really great to read an explanation behind is character now. As far as the ideas you already have in place to accomplish this, I think they are great! Those things would definitely make someone quite mean. Great job with this idea and good luck with writing your story!

    ReplyDelete